Text, email or call? The real question is: When was the last time you helped a professional colleague? Here are 7 everyday networking opportunities:
- Acknowledge your appreciation for (or update the progress made on) a business referral or introduction.
- If you lack expertise in an area someone wants advice in, refer her to someone in your network who can help.
- Leave a simple “heads up” or “thought you might like to know” message the night before news breaks (be sure to do this early enough to be useful).
- Check your LinkedIn updates. You will probably find a blog, tweet, interest group, or on-line article that you can forward to others with one click.
- As part of your give-back philosophy, when someone in your network helps you, send a contribution to one of your core network members’ favorite charities.
- Say hello to at least 2 people (and use their names!); ask how their day is going and then just listen.
- Pick up the phone and invite someone to breakfast or a “quick” lunch