Showing up may be 80%, but the other 20% matters too!

Did last week’s Networking Know-How tips give you that boost to sign up for an event?  Congratulations!  Now you need to “Show Up and Circulate.”  Here are the top 10 ways to be the “host(ess) with the mostest”:

  1.  Adopt the attitude of a host. This takes the focus off you and puts it on others—i.e.: speaker, event organizers and other attendees.
  2.  Nametags belong on the right-hand side of your jacket or shirt.  This will help others see your name as you say it.  And as mentioned this week’s tips, do bring your business cards and have them ready if you are asked.
  3. Start with people you know; just don’t stay with the people you know. You are all there to meet and mingle with others—invest the majority of your time in reaching out and getting to know new people in your field.
  4. Shut off your cell phone and leave it in your pocket or purse rather than in your hand or on the table; if you must check it, do so away from other attendees.
  5. Always introduce yourself with your first and last name.  Take time with the introductions. When you meet someone new, focus on the name, not the title. Look at the card you receive, repeat key information (pronouncing the name correctly!) and thank the person for it.
  6. Give the person you’re talking with your full attention. Don’t be guilty of the “Washington handshake”—scanning over their shoulder see who else is in the room.
  7. Stay standing—once people sit down at events they tend to never get up. When you stand you can circulate freely.
  8. Set yourself a networking goal: for example, to meet 3 new people and to introduce one of them to another attendee.
  9. Before the event ends, find a member of the program committee and thank him or her for their efforts putting the event together.
  10. Follow up with people you met (#5) with an invitation to join your LinkedIn network.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>